Sunday, June 22, 2008

God's view of Conspiracy Theories

It can be very difficult to sort fact from fiction so Christians are incredibly blessed in that we have a source of information that can be totally relied on as absolute FACT. This source is the Bible – a collection of books which we collectively believe to be God-breathed and therefore free from any error.

Since the Bible specifically forbids us to have dread over conspiracy theories (Isaiah 8: 11-13), it surprises me and concerns me that so many Christians these days are buying into conspiracy theories, often to the point of obsession.

Y ou are no doubt familiar with the latest popular theory that the tragedies of September 11, 2001 were actually orchestrated by our federal government. Propagation of this theory is becoming as widespread on the internet as propagation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Because of my realization of that, and my realization of how a member of my family is being affected by it due to his paranoia and obsession, it has become exceedingly clear to me that I have a responsibility as a Christian to speak out on this subject just as clearly and faithfully as I speak out against abortion, homosexuality and other evils in society.

There are other conspiracy theories out there, though, that can be equally damaging to the Christian who becomes obsessed with them. For a list of the most popular ones, see this link.

My hope for this site is that I can demonstrate that obsession and paranoia as we see in the propagation of conspiracy theories is actually detrimental to Christian family life and that this is precisely why God condemns the propagation of conspiracy theories. I welcome your input, whether you agree or disagree with me.

No comments: